Friday, April 9, 2010

Floors!!

I never thought I would be this excited about floors. We're being super DIY for sure. All of the estimates we got on refinishing the real hardwood floors in the house were close to $2000, which is waaay too much. However, Allison and I went to home depot and if we do it ourselves, refinishing the floors AND buying that puzzle-piece nice hardwood laminate will be under $500... WHAT? Awesome! Also, Allison and I are juuust about finished tiling the kitchen floor. It looks so much better. Pictures to come.

6 comments:

  1. I will say one bad thing about the laminate...it doesn't last.
    As the house settles it will not move and over time will buckle. The boys did the refinsh one spring break for me...it was a mess. The professionals are quick, last a lifetime, and are easy clean up before you move in. Did you call Drapers floors...good old boys/family who were cheapest for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. laminate looks great if you take care of it, and will last decades

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did get 2 quotes for JUST refinishing the hardwood, and it was $2000. Though Drapers did offer to go down in price, we didn't budget for the floors to be so high, and they treated me like a child and not a customer, which I found to be very rude. We're able to redo every floor in the house (with the laminate in the dining room) for under $500. So even though we would prefer a professional, for a little extra work we will have similar results and we're getting a lot more for our money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phoney on anybody who doesn't treat you with respect! In the famous words of Granny Molt "to h--- with them"! I wouldn't have given them a penny then. Sorry I suggested them. I can't wait to see your finished floors. Yipee look at all you saved and you can be proud that you did it yourself.Good for you to get it done before you move in and had to live with the mess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's alright, we really appreciate your suggestions! It's a shame that some don't work out, but Little John is amazingly helpful and respectful.

    ReplyDelete